The Monthly Giver
As we start the New Year, I always encourage my clients to invite their faithful donors to join their monthly giving program. I will not go through the exact details of how to structure a monthly giving program in this eNewsletter, you can check out my book, The Monthly Partner to get the specifics.But let's take a closer look at the monthly giver. Who is this faithful giver? Why do they give every month? Does every nonprofit have monthly givers?Here are some characteristics of monthly givers that I have found working with monthly partner programs for over 20 years.
- They are committed to the mission statement of your organization. They understand what you do at a deeper level.
- They are generally well informed. They read what you send them. They stay up to date.
- They are faithful. After taking care of mortgages, car payments, food and other bills, they GIVE to your cause every month. That is being faithful.
- They are frugal. They expect you to use every dollar of their gift in a meaningful and important way.
- They do not need or want a lot of extra “stuff” sent to them. They know that every thing you send back to them takes money away from what they sent you money to accomplish.
- They know that their faithfulness keeps your finances stable. Do not take them for granted.
I hope this gives you some picture of who your monthly donors are and how they think. They can be a great part of your comprehensive approach to build relationships. As you start the New Year, I encourage you to take a good look at how you are informing, connecting, and appreciating your monthly givers. They are vital to the success of your ministry.
Blessings to you in the New Year!
Dr. John R. Frank, CFRE, CSP